Stay Safe with the Best Hurricane Shutters Covington, LA Can Offer
Living in the Covington area means being in the path of potential hurricanes, making it crucial for homeowners to protect their houses, families, and properties. At Acadian Windows, we understand the risks associated with these powerful storms. Even though the city is above sea level and less vulnerable to flooding than other areas of Louisiana, Covington is still at risk for storm damage, especially from high winds. That’s why we offer reliable, high-quality hurricane shutters Covington homeowners can use to defend their homes.
As a trusted residential construction company serving Louisiana and Mississippi, our expertise lies in installing hurricane shutters, windows, doors, and siding that perform exceptionally while also improving your home’s curb appeal. Don’t wait until it’s too late—prepare your home now and ensure its resilience in the face of nature’s fury.
Aluminum Hurricane Shutters for Covington Homes
Aluminum shutters are an excellent choice for fortifying your home against hurricanes. At Acadian Windows, we offer a wide variety of aluminum hurricane shutters to customers for the following reasons:
- Exceptional Durability: Aluminum hurricane shutters are built to withstand strong winds, impact, and debris.
- Low Maintenance: They require minimal upkeep, saving you time and effort.
- Versatile Design: Available in various styles and colors, aluminum hurricane shutters can enhance your home’s aesthetics.
- Energy Efficiency: These shutters provide insulation around your windows, helping to regulate temperature and reduce energy costs.
- Longevity: With their corrosion-resistant properties, aluminum shutters offer long-lasting protection.
- Security Enhancement: In addition to hurricane protection, aluminum shutters act as a deterrent against potential break-ins or intrusions.
- Noise Reduction: Aluminum shutters can help minimize external noise, creating a more peaceful and tranquil indoor environment.
- Quick and Easy Operation: Our aluminum hurricane shutters are designed for effortless opening and closing, allowing for convenient storm preparation.
Colonial Hurricane Shutters
Colonial hurricane shutters are just one of several shutter styles we offer at Acadian Windows. They are crafted from high-quality aluminum to combine timeless style with robust durability.
Ideal for homeowners seeking both beauty and practicality, colonial hurricane shutters are best suited for:
- Historic Homes: These shutters perfectly complement the traditional charm of historic properties, preserving their authenticity.
- Waterfront Residences: Covington’s proximity to the coast and river calls for shutters that withstand exposure to water and harsh weather conditions.
- Architectural Variety: Colonial hurricane shutters can match various architectural styles, from colonial to Mediterranean.
Bahama Hurricane Shutters
Bahama hurricane shutters, also known as Bermuda shutters, are hinged at the top and provide a distinctive tropical look to your home. Their top-hinged design allows for easy operation, as they can be propped open at a 45-degree angle to provide shade, ventilation, and protection against hurricanes.
Besides excelling at shielding homes from hurricanes and strong winds, these shutters also offer everyday benefits. By angling the shutters, you can control the sunlight and breeze entering your home, contributing to energy efficiency and indoor comfort.
Bahama hurricane shutters are especially well-suited for homes near the Covington riverfront, where their stylish, tropical appearance harmonizes with the coastal aesthetic.
Board and Batten Hurricane Shutters
When it comes to hurricane shutters in Covington, our board and batten shutters offer a classic and durable solution for homeowners seeking both functionality and style. These shutters boast a classic design with vertical boards held together by horizontal battens. Their sturdy construction and hardy materials ensure a reliable defense for your home.
Compared to other shutters, board and batten hurricane shutters offer several advantages. Their rustic and traditional aesthetic adds character and charm to any home. They provide a timeless appeal that complements a wide range of architectural styles.
Additionally, they are highly customizable. These shutters can be tailored to suit your preferred dimensions, color choices, and design preferences, allowing for a personalized touch that enhances your home’s curb appeal while increasing your home’s protection against storms.
Check Out Our Gallery
8 Benefits of Hurricane Shutters in Covington LA
Curious about the benefits of hurricane shutters Covington, LA homeowners can take advantage of? We’ve outlined 8 of the top benefits that make hurricane shutters a worthwhile investment.
1. Insurance Savings
By fortifying your home with hurricane shutters, you demonstrate proactive measures against potential storm damage. Insurance companies recognize this and often offer reduced premiums as a result.
Besides that, some insurance policies provide deductible reductions for homes with hurricane shutters. It means that in the event of a claim, you could have a lower out-of-pocket expense before insurance coverage kicks in.
2. Increased Home Value
Installing hurricane shutters enhances your home’s safety and protection, which adds value to your property in a storm-prone area like Louisiana. Potential buyers are more likely to choose a house equipped with hurricane shutters, increasing its desirability in the real estate market. In addition, shutters add to your home’s curb appeal, further boosting its value.
3. Peace of Mind
Knowing that your home is fortified with hurricane shutters brings peace of mind during hurricane season. Many residents already take comfort in the city’s elevation above sea level, but that’s not enough to stop all storm damage. By installing hurricane shutters, you can rest assured that your property and belongings are better safeguarded against potential damage, reducing worry and anxiety during these stressful times.
4. Quick and Easy Storm Preparation
Hurricane shutters are designed for effortless opening and closing, allowing for quick storm preparation. With just a few simple steps, you can secure your home and protect it from dangerous weather, saving you time and increasing your safety.
5. Energy Efficiency
Hurricane shutters provide an additional layer of insulation around your windows, helping to regulate the temperature inside your home. Reducing heat transfer and air leakage contributes to energy efficiency and can lower heating and cooling costs.
6. Protection Against UV Rays
Hurricane shutters are best known for shielding your home from hurricane-force winds, but they also protect against harmful UV rays. They help prevent furniture, flooring, and artwork from fading due to prolonged sun exposure as well as from getting damaged during storms, extending the lifespan of your valuable possessions.
7. Privacy and Light Control
By adjusting your hurricane shutters, you can create the desired level of privacy and control glare, allowing you to enjoy a comfortable living environment.
8. Noise Reduction
Hurricane shutters help minimize external noise, creating a more peaceful and tranquil indoor environment. Whether it’s the sound of heavy rain or street traffic, these shutters act as a barrier, reducing noise pollution and enhancing the serenity of your home.
Hurricane Shutters Covington FAQs
Looking for answers to top FAQs about hurricane shutters Covington residents ask? Click any question below or read through them all to become better informed about how to protect your home from storms.
- What are the disadvantages of hurricane shutters?
- Are hurricane shutters worth the money?
- At what point do you put up hurricane shutters?
- What is better: impact windows or hurricane shutters?
- Which type of hurricane shutters are best?
- How much do hurricane shutters save on insurance?
- Does adding hurricane shutters increase home value?
- How long do hurricane shutters last?
- Do hurricane shutters keep heat out?
- Are hurricane shutters challenging to install?
What are the disadvantages of hurricane shutters?
The main disadvantages of hurricane shutters include the maintenance requirement they entail, but this is true for many necessary household features like your doors, windows, and siding. Regular cleaning and periodic lubrication are important to ensure optimal functionality and prevent issues like rust, mold, or deterioration.
Moreover, when hurricane shutters are closed, they can block the view from windows, limiting natural light and obstructing outdoor visibility. Certain shutters, like the Bahama style, partially block the view even when they are open. This aspect may be a drawback for those who prioritize a full view or enjoy ample sunlight inside their homes, though it can easily be avoided by choosing shutter styles like colonial or board and batten that allow unobstructed views when open.
While it is important to consider the disadvantages, ultimately hurricane shutters prove to be an affordable, reliable, attractive option for many homeowners in Covington and throughout Louisiana.
Are hurricane shutters worth the money?
Investing in hurricane shutters is definitely worth the money. By fortifying your home with hurricane shutters, you increase its resilience in the face of nature’s fury and enjoy benefits such as insurance savings and increased home value. The long-term advantages make investing in hurricane shutters a wise choice for homeowners in the Covington area.
At what point do you put up hurricane shutters?
At Acadian Windows, we recommend putting up hurricane shutters well before a hurricane is predicted to make landfall. It’s best to be proactive and prepared rather than waiting until it’s too late.
The reason behind this is that hurricane shutters require time and effort to install and secure properly. By putting them up early, you ensure that your home is adequately protected and can withstand the strong winds, flying debris, and potential damage that hurricanes can bring. Don’t wait for the last minute—act swiftly and prioritize the safety of your home and loved ones.
What is better: impact windows or hurricane shutters?
When it comes to protecting our homes from hurricanes, we believe that both hurricane shutters and impact windows offer significant protection from storms. These are a few of the advantages of hurricane shutters:
- Hurricane shutters are more cost-effective, allowing more homeowners to secure their windows.
- Both hurricane shutters and impact windows provide an additional layer of security, deterring potential intruders.
- Both hurricane shutters and impact windows provide insulation to increase energy efficiency and reduce outside noise.
- Hurricane shutters are cheaper and easier to repair than impact windows.
However, impact windows have their advantages as well. For more information, read our comparison of impact windows and hurricane shutters.
Which type of hurricane shutters are best?
At Acadian Windows, we offer a variety of high-quality hurricane shutters, each with its advantages:
- Aluminum shutters are recommended for exceptional durability, low maintenance, and energy efficiency, which is why we use aluminum for all of our hurricane shutters.
- Colonial hurricane shutters are an elegant choice, ideal for historic or waterfront homes, while Bahama shutters combine coastal charm with practicality.
- Board and batten hurricane shutters provide a classic solution that is as strong and dependable as it is versatile.
Ultimately, the best hurricane shutters are the ones that meet your expectations and suit your home’s style and requirements. We recommend carefully assessing your needs and consulting with our experts to make an informed decision.
How much do hurricane shutters save on insurance?
Studies have shown that installing hurricane shutters can lead to a reduction in homeowners’ insurance premiums, though the exact amount will vary from case to case. In Louisiana, where hurricanes are common, homeowners can potentially save hundreds of dollars per year on insurance costs by installing hurricane shutters.
Does adding hurricane shutters increase home value?
Potential buyers are more willing to pay a higher price for a house equipped with hurricane shutters because they recognize the added protection and safety they provide. In addition, an appraiser will likely also consider hurricane shutters’ presence when assessing your home’s value. This increased desirability can ultimately lead to a higher selling price and a greater return on investment.
How long do hurricane shutters last?
The lifespan of hurricane shutters can vary depending on several factors, including the type of material used, the construction quality, and the maintenance level. However, with proper care and regular upkeep, hurricane shutters can last 10 to 20 years or even longer.
To ensure the longevity of your hurricane shutters, here are some maintenance tips to follow:
- Regular Cleaning: Clean your shutters regularly to remove dirt, debris, and salt buildup.
- Lubrication: Lubricate hinges, tracks, and locking mechanisms annually or as needed.
- Inspect for Damage: Periodically inspect your shutters for any signs of damage, such as dents, cracks, or loose components. Address any issues promptly to prevent further damage and maintain the effectiveness of the shutters.
- Secure Hardware: Check that all screws, bolts, and other hardware are adequately tightened and secure.
- Test Operation: Regularly test your shutters’ opening and closing mechanisms to ensure they function correctly.
- Paint or Sealant Touch-Ups: If you have painted shutters, monitor the condition of the paint and perform touch-ups as needed to protect against corrosion or fading.
- Professional Inspection: Consider scheduling a professional inspection of your hurricane shutters every few years. Professionals can assess their overall condition, identify any underlying issues, and provide maintenance recommendations.
Do hurricane shutters keep heat out?
Most hurricane shutters Covington LA has to offer will keep heat out to some degree. They provide an additional layer of protection against heat transfer, helping to regulate the temperature inside your home. At Acadian Windows, we pride ourselves on providing hurricane shutters that can help keep your home cooler and more comfortable against the scorching sun.
Are hurricane shutters challenging to install?
Installing hurricane shutters often requires technical knowledge and expertise, but it can be done with the right tools and instructions. The difficulty level of installation can vary depending on the type of shutters and the specific circumstances of your home.
For some homeowners, DIY installation may be feasible, especially with hurricane shutters that come with detailed instructions and mounting hardware. However, we strongly recommend working with professionals for a precise and secure installation, ensuring that the shutters are correctly positioned and properly attached to your home.
Buy the Best Covington Hurricane Shutters
Don’t wait until it’s too late—install hurricane shutters now to protect your home from the devastating impacts of hurricanes. At Acadian Windows, we offer the best hurricane shutters Covington homeowners can buy, providing reliable defense against strong winds and debris.